Wednesday 12 October 2011

Those Sometimes Infuriating Little Monsters do Grow Up

Had a lovely time last evening. Our son took us out to dinner and we were thinking it was because of Alan's upcoming 80th birthday next month when Peter would be away. Not so, he just wanted to take us out before he went off to South Africa on safari.


Don't know what it is with me though when it comes to teeth, holidays and meal out treats.
A few hours before our meal 2 front teeth broke off my part denture. I was determined to manage! 



I have posted on this historic Tudor Manor House before so will just show you the grand Baronial Hall again, part of the original 
16th century building


The men both chose Fillet of Beef with Morel mushrooms, baby onion and Dauphinoise potatoes with Truffle Jus



and I chose Wild Sea Bass with Butternut Squash and Salisfy (looking here a bit like upside-down mushrooms!) Shallot Compote and Pistachio oil. Was delicious.


Unusually we all chose the same dessert. 
Mango & Passion fruit mousse, mint jelly, and yoghurt sorbet wrapped Croustillant with Muscat.

Equally delicious
I forgot to photograph the chef's complimentary dishes
Soup in a miniature cup with smoked salmon and pate 
whilst waiting and
Frangipan with real vanilla ice-cream between courses

Must get back to my Summer postings and visiting you all again

Looking after Rebekah all day Friday and Oliver after school while Janie spends a day alone in London replenishing her Winter wardrobe so probably won't be before the weekend. 

15 comments:

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

What an outstanding looking meal!! I have to also add, quite the table of good looking men you have there!!

Priscilla said...

Every time I hear some silly (read: ignorant) person deride "English cooking" I wisy I could show them this lovely dinner!
What a lovely event.

Midwest to Midlands said...

What a great night out. It all looks wonderful, the restaurant, the food, but most of all I am sure the company. Congrats to your husband on his upcoming birthday!

Lorrie said...

What a lovely dinner outing. The food is plated so beautifully. What a shame about your teeth. Hopefully, all is now repaired.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Dinner sounds delicious, Barbara. Alan and Peter look very content! That is a beautiful setting for a special dinner.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

...and, I might add, I hope we all look as good at 80 as Alan!

melissa said...

My goodness, what elegance. :) I think I'd have to stare before I ate it!

Elizabethd said...

What a delicious meal you had, and in such an atractive place.

Cousin Pam said...

Looks and sounds absolutely delicious! Well done Peter! Have a great time on safari!!

Lorraine Young Pottery said...

Very fancy looking food sculpture you have there. The dessert sound out of this planet.

Teeth are such pesky things aren't they! I had some new fillings put in and now I can feel every crunch doing through thoes teeth and it's been over four months.

:-} Lorraine

Crunch said...

Wow that looks fantastic, from every angle. Congratulations to your husband too.

Balisha said...

What a wonderful party! I would have chosen the Sea Bass too. It looks delicious. Enjoy your grands...Balisha

Sarah said...

I second the call on the good-looking men. The food looks quite tasty too!

Michael said...

Barbara, you are such a gracious host per your last post!

And what a wonderful Hall. Not exactly the food I was expecting from such a place but I'm sure it was good nonetheless.

Well, with that, I wanted to tell you that I'm closing Hot Toast and Jam so thought you might enjoy its last post.

I will still be visiting just not as much (as if I have been that frequent anyway!) as one might expect when hosting a personal blog, verses an art one.

Let me just say then, thank you for your prayers, encouragements and support along the way. Here's wishing you the best until we chat again. God bless you and yours.

Winifred said...

Mmm! Think I would have chosen that pud too Barbara!