Saturday 6 August 2011

The Town Mill Bakeries, Lyme Regis & Sherborne

As promised in the last post, a look into this unusual eating place



One walks into what appears to be a large kitchen where cooks are busy preparing delicious food


We walk in and help ourselves and I try not to think about the ones who may not have washed their hands!
Delicious Italian bread smothered in goats cheese, olives, tomatoes and herbs and several other variations
Home-made soups and vegetarian casseroles, not to mention the salads and breads straight out of the oven
or the jugs of freshly made apple juice 


Alan and I choose Carrot and Coriander soup and the bread outlined above. The bowls were large, the soup was thick and I have to say it was the best I have ever tasted



Everyone sits communally at long tables and in no time we were chatting to people we had never met before 
No napkins but enormous kitchen roll freely available
and large dishes of butter and jam (jelly)


Breakfasts are served until 11.0 am (you make your own toast) and then lunch from 11.30 am until 2.0 pm (menu changes daily) followed by afternoon tea with delicious home made cakes straight from the oven. One pays on leaving and is trusted to say what they have eaten.
IT WAS FUN


The next day we visited Sherborne where they had a small franchise
There was just time to sample a late afternoon tea before leaving 


It was closing time but the owner said he would stay open as long as there was a customer in the 'house'
Here the bakery was on the ground floor with the eating space upstairs
Alan had one of his favourites - fruit scones and I had 
Lime Polenta (corn meal) cake
I make a lemon version of this at home and the texture of the ground almonds and polenta instead of flour is yummy



Looking through the photo album on  the above site is a treat

14 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Thank you for the photo album link; I had a great time viewing all that delicious food (the shortbread hearts are what I'm craving now!) and also chuckled a bit at the funny faces...

Elizabeth said...

This is obviously my sort of outing!
Wonderful to visit there with you.

Terri said...

Oh Barbara! Once again you have awakened a wonderful memory for me. We ate at a little town bakery in Bottineau, North Dakota (right near the Canadian border). (When I say little town I mean it was like 2,000 or so.) The smell of cinnamon buns was divine. She had homemade soup for lunch - two kinds - and fresh bread and we could choose our drinks from the cooler in the "diningroom". There were 2 long tables with chairs all around, and we sat with the townspeople and ate. It was so fun!!! I would choose it over a fancy candle light dinner any time. Your experience was richer, in that there was more to choose. I enjoyed your trip very much!!! and the memory you invoked, as well. Then I went to the photo albumn and enjoyed that too. Especially loved the happy diminutive diners... and their freckle faces. Priceless!
Hugs,

Trisha said...

Looks so inviting.

La Petite Gallery said...

I love your travels, I am going to try Polenta w/ lemon and almonds,
Bet it's great toasted.
Thanks for the fun trip.
yvonne

Merisi Vienna said...

What a wonderful welcoming place!
I wish them all the success in the world.
Thank you for taking me there,
a wonderful Sunday to you,
Merisi

Chris Welch - 07000INTUNE said...

we're going to be on Golden Cap...maybe look into these! Thx for sharing

Lori Zehr said...

Barbara: I love the tours of your beautiful country. I feel like I am in England once again--very pleasant memories for me. I remember being impressed with all the wonderful cakes! Thanks for sharing!

Needled Mom said...

How fun and it sounds delicious as well.

Diane at My Cottage Garden said...

Looks just lovely! I really hope things settle down in London tonight.

Balisha said...

Thinking of you and hoping you aren't near the problem areas in London. Balisha

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Hello Barbara

You are right--what big soup bowls!! This seems to be a place where I would love to eat and get to know the locals.

Take-Care!

Best
Tracy :)

Lorrie said...

Both places look fun. I'd be thinking about who hadn't washed in the first place, too.

Thinking of you and other English bloggers as I hear the news.

Vee said...

The concept of family dining is quite popular in some restaurants here. I'm with you on the "let's not think about what others may or may not have done."