Tuesday 13 October 2009

Basildon Park

Here we have a peep at Basildon Park. It is the Palladian mansion featured in the recent film adaption of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. It was built in 1776-83 by John Carr for francis Sykes who made his fortune in India. The interior is notable for it's original delicate plaster work and elegant staircase, as well as for the unusual Octagon room. The house fell on hard times early in the last century, but was rescued by Lord and Lady Lliffe who filled it with fine pictures and furniture. I thought it worthwhile stopping for lunch there as we were in the area.



















Photograph from the house during filming

8 comments:

duopastorale said...

Another place I haven't visited! Nice photos and always good to see these places used for filming.

Willow said...

Yes, indeed. It was definitely worthwhile to stop there! Thanks for the glimpse in to 'Jane Austen's world' again.

Anonymous said...

This looks a much better version of Thorndon Hall.

Lorrie said...

Ah yes, I think I'd stop by too, if I "were in the area." Just lovely.

Lorrie

Patsy said...

How wonderful that Lord and Lady Lliffe saved Basildon Park.
Patsy

Anonymous said...

I adored that movie. I am glad that they were able to save the home. So many people in todays world would rather tear things down than repair them. We have lost so many beautiful old buildings in WV because of that. I remember the Old Library in our town and it was truly a beauty and they tore it down years ago to build a modern bank, not to even mention the theaters that they tore down. With ther spiral staircases,velvet curtains and marble walls. Such a shame.

Willow

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Lovely place, I have visited Basildon Park some...15 years ago oh dear oh dear time really flies. I love Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice so it is nice to revisit Basildon Park again.
Tyra

Paula said...

OMW, I would love to go there. P & P is one of my all time favorite movies. Gotta love that Mr Darcy!