Friday 11 September 2009

Tetbury and the Royals

Here we are visiting the town of Tetbury in the Cotswolds, just a 20 minute drive out of Wiltshire.This market town came to life with the growth of the Cotswold wool trade. The thriving town boasts a wealth of architectural heritage.

It is also world-renowned for its unique Royal associations. Highgrove, home of HRH The Prince of Wales is situated just outside Tetbury, and Gatcombe Park, home of the Princess Royal is also nearby. Neighbouring Chalford houses the impressive Nether Lypiatt House, until recently the residence of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.

The reason I wanted to come here was to visit the Highgrove shop which opened in the town some years ago. This shop helps support Prince Charles charity Foundation and the produce is grown on either the Prince's Home farm or the farms of The Duchy of Cornwall. Everything is top quality and organic and all proceeds go to the trust.



First though, it's coffee at Hortensia





After coffee we cross the square and walk past this Market House dating back to 1655 AD


And arrive at the Highgrove shop











The mural on the wall here in the gardening department is a scene from the garden at Highgrove













My purchases while here were of some gourmet produce, things like lemon curd, satsuma marmalade and special jams.




And a book on Prince Charles' garden at Highgrove. It is full of beautiful photographs of this magnificent garden but I am unable to show you any because of copyright
I have always wanted to visit this garden which was developed from scratch by the Prince and various garden experts but originally only groups from garden and horticultural societies were allowed entry. Now it is open to the public on specially arranged tours but there is a long waiting list. Nevertheless I have put my name on the list while here and am told it will be about a year before I hear.




We have now had our lunch in an Inn almost opposite the Highgrove shop. The menu was 'out of this world' with everything organic and sourced locally and all we did was order soup as we had plans to spend the afternoon in Malmesbury and needed to be on our way.


You can enjoy the sights with me as we walk back to the car











We are now leaving. In Malmesbury we visit the town, the Abbey and the Abbey Gardens. I have to say that these were the best gardens I have ever visited and I have certainly visited some. I am going to have to think about how I post on it as I took so many photographs. I might make it my last post on Wiltshire but it will be worth the wait.

18 comments:

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

I so enjoyed going along with you on your visit to the Cotswolds. Someday, I hope to walk that same path.

Anonymous said...

I went with my local WI group to visit the gardens at Highgrove last year. On the way we stopped in Tetbury for lunch and to look at the shop. Although we were also able to buy from the shop in the grounds after the tour and a cup of tea! It was a great honour as there is a waiting list of about two years to get an invite for a group. The same year we went to a Buckingham Palace Garden party as part of TA100 so had a lovely walk round HM's garden. Jackie

Lorrie said...

I've always been attracted by the Cotswolds. Thank you for sharing these photos. The Highgrove shop and Prince Charles' gardens sound lovely. Too bad you have to wait so long to see the gardens.

Thank you, Barbara for your encouraging words written on my blog. I thank you. I know that the Lord is with us in these trying times and that we continue to have much for which to praise him.

Lorrie

Bernideen said...

I wondered what the price would be on that building For Sale! Lovely trip and that gift shop was wonderful - also would love to see Prince Charles garden!

Deanna said...

Dear Barb,
Enjoyed having coffee with you on Church Street!
Your pics allowed me to see the sights right from my comfy chair.
This was alot of fun.
God bless,
d

David Salter said...

There's a fantastic bookshop in Church St, hope you found it!

Anonymous said...

Tetbury is so pretty Barbara. There were so many lovely looking things in the Highgrove shop. Thanks for sharing.

Annie Jeffries said...

So enjoyed this post on this fine Sunday morning. Your mention of the wool trade put me in mind, immediately, of one of the background stories of the great book, "Pillars of the Earth". I'm off now to check on an online shop of the Highgrove shop. That tote is fabulous.

Needled Mom said...

I love the Cotswolds. We have stayed in the area a couple of times - once in Broadway and then in Chipping Camden, which I loved. We were able to visit Tetbury and found it charming. Your pictures of it are great. I can't wait to see the photos next year of the garden tour.

Willow said...

I am fascinated with the shop. Everything looks beautiful! I asked The Professor about Prince Michael of Kent...as we don't have royalty here and don't keep up with British royalty we have no idea who he is.

I'm looking forward to your photos of the Abbey! If it's the best you've seen, well, it must be absolutely wonderful!

Diary From Africa said...

Thanks for visiting my blog all the way over in Africa & leaving a comment :) I've enjoyed looking through the lovely photographs on your blog this morning !
Bye for now
Lynda, Kilimanjaro, East Africa

Jane said...

Hi Barbara
I've only just seen your comment on my blog from ages ago. Thanks! Appreciate that I have not explained the walking to everyone -mainly because it was below the radar so thanks for your patience and well done for finding it online! Your blog is original and lively - well done. Some beautiful photographs! Keep blogging - feel free to put mine on your feed...Love Jane x

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for these pictures. It was always a dream of mine to visit the UK, Scotland, Wales...even Ireland. But as my Uncle Pat use to say, "Man proposes but God disposes" and so I read lovely blogs such as yours and am thankful for the "trips" I get to take via the internet :)

Charm and Grace said...

Oh you do always manage to find the gems to post here for us. The mural in the garden shop!!! wonderful. And all the little nooks and crannies filled with gardening implements. Such beautiful buildings and architecture, too. (And I caught you swimming in the post below). I know we are kindred spirits if you like ice cream with butterscotch swirls and caramel chunks!

Blessings,
Christi

*Ulrike* said...

Such a wonderful visit! I would so enjoy going to the gardens too, but a year for you might mean more for me! So I will follow you when you show us the pictures a year from now!!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

That's a very charming place. I especially love the next to last photo...and these homes look a little different from all the other styles I saw while over there. Each region does have its own feel to it doesn't it.

a woman who is said...

The shop and the town look amazing. As I recall Rosemary Verey helped the Prince at High Grove too. She is someone we are familar with here in the U.S. She was often a guest speaker at the Seattle Flower and Garden Show. I did get to see her garden Barnsley in the Cotswolds, but only pictures of High Grove.

I am so glad you put your name on that list. It will be wonderful to see the pictures of your visit. What a special treat to look forward to.

Sigrun said...

Hi Barbara, I found your posts about Whiltshire in the moment. We had our holidays there two weeks ago and I'm happy to see the places we visited again on your blog.
But I don't know that there is a Highgrove sho. Bad! ;(
We also visited The Courts, for me (I know him about years) it is one of the best gardens.

Sigrun