Saturday 18 October 2008

October Musings and Flies

There was an old woman who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly
I guess she'll die!

Well this 'old woman' was glad she did not die as I am going to be a Grandmother again in April with a brother or sister for Oliver. Congratulations Jane and Chris.

Back to the fly! Last weekend I was walking in my local park when I opened my mouth to greet someone I knew and some horrible thing flew right in and settled on the back of my tongue ready to slide down the back of my throat. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to fill my mouth with water from my water bottle (the previous day I had done this same walk and not taken water). Spitting out the water brought the 'thing' to where I could pick it out. It was still very much alive and was a shield bug or frog hopper. . I did not fancy feeling that fluttering around in my oesophagus until it died in my stomach juices. Urrgh!

Last night when reading my bank statement I found that someone had used my debit card. When researching the retailer I found it was an on-line company and someone had bought themselves a cam-corder and memory stick on my card. How useful that one has 24 hour phone access to banks these days.
My bank told me (and this I did not know) never to use a debit card on the internet, always to use a credit card which is safe. Apparently internet thieves hack into the computers of on-line companies and steal debit card details. So just in case anyone else is not aware of this I offer you this information.


Today I made this Raisin Shortbread. 'Don't try this at home' unless you are happy to work with a very crumbly mix. I did not do so well today as I was rushing but it tastes good all the same. Better than flies!


4 tblspns orange juice 6 oz Pl.Flour 2 oz caster sugar
4 oz seedless raisins 4 oz butter

Put orange juice and raisins into small saucepan, bring slowly to boil. Turn into a basin and leave to cool, preferably overnight.
Sieve flour into basin; add sugar and rub in butter until resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Knead dough thoroughly and divide into 2 equal sized rounds. Place 1 on a greased baking sheet; spread raisins over surface, top with second round, pressing down firmly.
Pinch edges with floured fingers. Prick well. Bake till crisp and golden brown, in centre of oven Gas 3 / 160C/325F for 45 min
Mark into segments and when cool remove from baking sheet and enjoy.



Late afternoon sun, yes we have had some this week, casting a lovely shadow in a corner of one of my guest bedrooms. And no! I did not stop to dust.

16 comments:

Adrienne said...

Congratulations, Barbara, on the anticipated arrival of another grandbaby! Aren't we grandmothers the most blessed of all people? I shuddered at the thought of the fly in your mouth. Good thinking! And I'm so sorry someone used your debit card. Thank you for the information about the use of my debit card online. I won't keep doing that anymore. Your raisin shortbread looks absolutely delicious. Wouldn't it be fun to live close enough to chat over some tea and shortbread?
~Adrienne~

Susan said...

Oh my!!! Lots of news in this one. Congratulations on being a grandmother again and for Oliver getting a sibling. Being raise almost as an only child I believe in siblings!!!! One of the reason I had 4 children.

About the bug thing....ugh!! I've heard of this type thing before but so far have escaped such an event.

Will the bank correct the debit card misuse are you just "out"? I try and check our bank accounts, and the one credit card we use for everything and pay off once a month, on a daily basis. So as to catch such an event.
Susan

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Ah, time to get out the knitting needles and create some pretty baby things!

Your shortbread looks very delicious. Shortbread is a favorite of mine, but I've never had it stuffed with raisins. Homemade is always the best!

I'm sure the bug was just as glad to get out of there as you were to get rid of him.

I appreciate the debit card reminder. I use mine at the grocery store and probably should not do even that. I think I'm switching to the credit card even there! You can't be too careful these days.

Vee said...

Hearty congratulations to you and Alan on the news of a new grandbaby. Oliver will love having a little sibling to play with.

YUCK on the bug. You described it especially well I might add.

Double yuck on the use of your debit card. I didn't know that about the use of a debit card online either so thanks for that. Hope that it all got righted around.

That raisin shortbread looks scrumptious. I enjoy a raisin pie so I'm sure that I would have no trouble devouring that. Must snag it while I'm thinking of it.

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh, this made me so hungry! I make shortbread during the holidays, but this with the raisins looks heavenly. I'm taking the recipe with me! Thanks so much!

And congratulations on being a Grandma again!

Smart thinking on the fly...ick!

Susan Skitt said...

Oh those nasty bugs! So glad you had your water with you! And about your debit card, that's terrible. I will pray you are able to straighten it out and thank you for the friendly warning.

On a more cheerful note, I am so happy for you about your new and upcoming grandbaby. How exciting!

And that pie looks scrumptious. Speaking of pies and flies (no pun intended), my husband loves a pie that is local to the PA Dutch community in Pennsylvania, USA. We live about 2 hours from Lancaster area but the diners around here do a pretty good imitation. It is called "Shoo-Fly Pie". No flies in it, but it's a sticky mixture with molasses and brown sugar and I guess people had to "shoo" the flies away it is so good.

Have a great weekend!

Susie said...

Congratulations on your expected new grandbaby!
I had heard of the dangers of using a debit card for online purchases as the same thing happened to one of my brothers (he was not held responsible for the unauthorized usage)
Your raisin shortbread looks and sounds much more appealing than flies!
hugs

Linda said...

I've had gnats end up in my mouth when out walking and I start spitting like crazy. Congratulations on the coming grandbaby. Not a better feeling in the world.

hester said...

Hi Barbara. Thanks for coming to say hello. Congratulations on the coming baby. They are just what we need in this crazy old world, aren't they?

Hester

PS Your shortbread photo has made me hungry!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your internet troubles. We went to court this week as a 17 year old is running an on-line business and refused to pay for work my husband had done. We checked that he was the owner of the site using "who is". According to law as he is under 18 he cannot be held to any contract he makes. This does unfortunately mean that if he chooses to take people's money and not deliver the goods there is nothing a UK court can do. I worry for any customers he may have as they wont know they aren't protected.

Now a happier note. Congratulations on your wonderful news!

Barbara said...

I am glad you left the recipe of this special shortbread (I am fond of shortbreads!), it will be added to my collection. I am also glad that it was't a bee flying into your throat, though the other "thing" isn't "comfortable" either. That's a bad thing with your debit card, but this can happen as I already heard from other friends. What wonderful news about your second grandchild.
Have a good week, Barbara, and take care.
Barbara

Lorrie said...

Wonderful news - a new baby to cuddle!

I like the new blog look - are those photos from your own garden?

So much information in your post, eating flies, raisin shortbread, bank scams...and all very interesting!

Paula said...

Glad you caught the extra charge on your statement. Now I'm going to look mine over a little bit more carefully.
Ugh, yuck the bug in your mouth. Glad you got it before it went down the hatch :)
That raisin shortbread looks so decadent. Mmmm yummy with a nice cup of tea (green tea for me)

Charm and Grace said...

Oh, you cracked me up with this post ...first the fly and then the dust. You seem to live such a charmed life (at least in my imagination) with all the lovely photos that imagining you trying to rid your mouth of a fly ...or having not dusted... gave me great comfort that you're a lot more like me than I thought. He he! And then there's the debit card thing... good advice for us. I have had to cancel 2 credit cards previously due to online fraud, so this makes a lot of sense to me. A camcorder? What nerve!

Super Grandmother congratulations to you!

Love,
Christi

Mmm said...

how I love scones!! Those look so yummy.

Congrats on the new grandchild!

a woman who is said...

Oh how exciting for you! Congratulations! I am doubly excited, because we both will be new grandmother’s this spring. Puddin Toes is going to have a sibling also; I think the beginning of May. Wooohooo for us!!!!