Thursday 5 June 2008

Bodiam Castle

Come with me and enjoy a trip around Bodiam Castle. This was our second visit of the day after Bateman's.
In 1385 Sir Edward Dalyngrigge, a soldier of fortune, began the building of Bodiam Castle. He wanted to show off his power and wealth, as well as to defend the surrounding countryside. Debate continues over whether Bodiam was a fortress, a grand and comfortable house, or both. It's setting was a working estate with farmland, wharf and flour mill.
It was also elaborately landscaped with ponds and pools as well as the moat. These both added to the defences and made a picturesque scene to impress visitors.
Let's go on up and walk around before taking a look inside.
















Just imagine getting caught under the Portcullis











These fireplaces heated something



Up one of the many spiral staircases



Indoor fireplace


At least it is not outside


Windows and doors


There would not be any glass of course
but probably shutters









Looking down inside from the battlements



Looking down outside from one of the towers
We are off to Scotney House and Castle next
after a nice afternoon tea

12 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh Barbara....I love your photos of this wonderful old castle...such fantastic history where you live...America is a young country by comparison...
Thank you for such a lovely post...

Barb said...

Hi Barbara,

Congrats on your award. Your blog is fascinating. I love the pics and the testimony!

take good care,
Barb

Elizabethd said...

You go to some vry interesting places. It is years since I visited Bodaim, and it was lovely to see it again.

Willow said...

Bodiam Castle looks like it is all ruins. Does anyone live there now?

Very interesting!

Adrienne said...

Hi Barbara -
I would love to tour your area and the castles with you. I can't imagine living in one. I'll be back to see what else you have to share.
~Adrienne~

Barbara said...

Bodiam Castle seems to be a very interesting historic building. And it is still beautiful today. Wondering what is inside...

Vee said...

Castles are so beautiful, but they couldn't have been the most comfortable places to live. Loved the indoor powder room, though.

Hope that your tea was a delight! Looking forward to your next stop...

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I enjoy all the angles you are showing of Bodiam Castle. I believe I correctly recall this castle featured on the cover of one of Donovan's record albums back in the 1960's, with a pink/red sunset or sunrise reflected in the water of the moat....at least, it looks like the same castle.

Maalie said...

Am I right in thinking that looks somewhat like Caernarfon Castle? Same architect, maybe?

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Barbara....

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment, I’m always pleased to hear from you....

Beautiful posting about Bodiam Castle, what a well chosen and spectacular setting for a castle..... great pictures!

You’ve got me wondering about the comment you left me and Willow’s posting.... I think I’ve got it... and I’m sure watching this space!

Oh the toile wallpaper was fixed by Erin, Betty's Granddaughter... I love it!

May you and Alan enjoy a blessed Sunday. - Marion

Linda said...

I think I actually visited that castle many years ago. It certainly has been restored well.

Lavinia said...

This is precisely the sort of castle I love most. Wonderful blending of the elements...Lots of stone, water, spiral staircases....the fireplaces....simply wonderful. The sort of place that gets the imagination going....

Thanks, Barbara!