Saturday 8 March 2008

And Talking of Books (and Music)

These are some great books that I bought for myself just after Christmas.

The Long Way Down by Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman
. I watched the TV programme of their adventures and very much enjoyed it. (I wrote about their first similar adventure, The Long Way Round in 2004 on a recent post)

They travel by motor bike and this journey of 15,000 miles from John O’Groats in the North of Scotland to Cape Agul in South Africa takes them through 18 countries. The terrain is tough, the people are friendly – they have nothing but give what they have.
They met former child soldiers in Uganda, mine affected children in Ethiopia and had close encounters with families of Gorillas in Rwanda and they were nearly trampled by a herd of elephants in Botswana.
Ewan and Charlie are very involved with UNICEF so they incorporate this with their travels


Saving Planet Earth by Tony Juniper
Again this was a TV series about how the human race is changing g planet earth


How to Read an English Garden by Andrew Eburne and Richard Taylor
Apparently gardens are among the fastest growing visitor attractions today
In the UK alone 15 million people will visit a garden this year
The book provides an account of different elements of gardens of all ages and origins of design. It brings historic and modern gardens to life. For example why mazes are a common feature in English gardens.


The Nature of Britain by Alan Titchmarsh A celebration of our landscapes and wildlife
Again I watched the TV series
For its size Britain has an enormously diverse range of natural environments from mountains. Forests, lakes, fenlands and downs. Thousands of rivers and streams flow through moor land and woodland, heath and meadow to its 10,000 miles of coastline. The book surveys landscapes chapter by chapter including towns and cities.(It’s hard to imagine we have 10,000 miles of coastline for such a small country but it is made up of many harbours and inlets)
While mentioning this I wonder how many people know that
Great Britain is made up of well over 6,000 islands


In My Father’s House by Miranda Seymour (autobiography)
George Seymour, Miranda’s Father was obsessed with Thrumpton Hall from a young age until he bought it.
This is an autobiography and family memoir – the house took priority and everything else was
secondary
The following are some recent purchases from charity shops
I buy a lot of books and am certainly not going to put myself under the pressure of posting on all of them but I will post on some on occasion

The River at the Centre of the World by Simon Winchester
This book charts a journey up the Yangtze River and back in Chinese time
The others are all novels
The Jigsaw Maker – Adrienne Dines
The Weight of Water – Anita Shreve
Excess Baggage – Judy Astley
The Triumph of Katie Byrne – Barbara Taylor Bradford
Out of the Blue – Charlotte Bingham
Just Between Us – Cathy Kelly
Always and Forever – Cathy Kelly
Love and Devotion - Erica James
P.S. I Love You – Cecelia Ahern


I also bought 2 new C.D.'s just after Christmas
both of these are 'boy bands' with a difference


Teatro www.teatromusic.com
are 4 talented singers who have had much experience on the Broadway and West End Musical stage before coming together to form a group
They are all classically trained and have a lifetime of musical background

Blake
www.blakeofficial.com are again 4 very experienced and talented singers
They have backgrounds in classical, opera, choir and much more
Their paths having crossed when they were young they came together again through Facebook and decided to form a group. They come from upper class backgrounds, one of them having sung for the Queen at her 80th birthday party

I think both these groups have voices that blend so well and I am thoroughly enjoying them
I have included both websites where you can hear them sing and read their biographies which are very interesting ENJOY

13 comments:

Linda said...

Both the books on English gardens and on England itself sound great. I can't believe that being so near to England I haven't been there much. I always thought I'd visit there many times but have only been twice since living in France. It is a really beautiful country. I feel the same way about France-so much to see here.

Barbara said...

Thanks a lot for presenting the books and the CDs. I'll try to get "How to read English Gardens"...so I'll be "up to date" when visiting English gardens next time!
Have nice Spring days!

Anonymous said...

WOW, what a list!

The one tempting me the most was How to Read an English Garden.....

Willow said...

When I go to England this summer, I will look for the CD by Blake. I really liked their music and their sound.

BTW, we are getting closer to a definite date for the trip...

Teresa said...

How to Read an English Garden, sounds very interesting and like something I would enjoy. I think I may look around and see what I come up with. I have never heard of Cathy Kelly, but those sound good. I found a web site for her and the books sound like good cozy reads. I will say though, after seeing Searching for Tilly on your survey, I Susan Sallis, up. That author does sound like someone I would enjoy. I am going to read that one. Her Rising, family sagas sound good too. I appreciate this blogosphere. I may never have heard about these authors otherwise. Thanks.

Vee said...

"...I wonder how many people know that Great Britain is made up of well over 6,000 islands."

Not I! No clue whatsoever, which is why I enjoy learning all the things that you share.

Wow! You are a book lover. How long will this latest batch last you?

Paula said...

You have a lot of really neat selections there. I know I would love the one on English Gardens. I have so many books that I have bought and not read. I have to catch up. I had no idea that Great Britain was made up of that many islands.

duopastorale said...

Great reading. I remember seeing a book called 'reading a church'. Thought the title was fascinating.

Janie said...

I'm loving the Susan Sallis you lent me. No Mans Land is so much faster than the Pumpkin Coach....lots of twists ...as you promised too. Off the read some more now....Night night!
Love Janie

Lorrie said...

Wow, that's a lot of books! You must read quickly. I would love to visit the gardens in England one day. They are world-famous.
Enjoy the springtime!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have really enjoyed The Long Way Round and The Long Way Down, what a dream to be able to just get on a bike and go.

Needled Mom said...

How to Read an English Garden sounds like a fabulous book. I have always enjoyed visiting the gardens when we visit. Thanks for sharing.

a woman who is said...

Don't forget to send me your address, for some more books!
Just what you need :]